Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Turkey Brick

I just ate a Turkey Brick.

What the hell is that? SOMEONE has expressed concern that this blog may be too narrowly focused on chocolate, so I'll break from describing my sweet indiscretions and share details about the delicious Turkey Brick sandwich I enjoyed at the Hershey Grill restaurant on Saturday.

The Turkey Brick is a grilled sandwich featuring carved turkey breast (not that thin, processed stuff from the deli), Swiss cheese, bacon, and pesto mayo on focaccia bread. The original menu item also included marinated onions, but I got mine without.

Why did I eat this? Ordering at restaurants is always stressful for me. There are too many menu choices and I'm a pretty picky eater, so I have to scan the menu carefully to find dishes that don't contain something I hate (like onions) or can be prepared without the offending ingredients. The added chaos of eating with the kids only makes ordering worse because I have to make sure they know what they're getting before I can even consider what I want myself. As a result, I end up consuming a lot of hamburgers because they're easy to order and I always like them.

Hershey Grill serves burgers, but a turkey sandwich--even with bacon and cheese--seemed like a healthier choice in my irrational, sugar-coated mind. (I'd had an infusion of chocolate every 15 minutes since arriving in Hershey and the guilt was starting to mount.) I somehow missed the menu blurb describing the Brick as "similar to a panini" and was surprised (or, more accurately, horrified) when a hot sandwich arrived at the table. Heat and mayonnaise is generally a bad combo, but there was just a hint of pesto mayo on the bread--not big globs--and it was really good. Each half of the sandwich had an ultra-thin slice of tomato on top, which looked like a little peace sign - very cute!

The Turkey Brick platter also included steak fries and a pickle. I'm not a fan of steak fries (too potato-y), but I ate a few of the crunchy ones. Ellie was anxiously waiting to scarf the pickle while I photographed the food and Carl snagged the giant olive.

It's back to chocolate tomorrow, Mr. Rosin. Deal with it.

Satisfaction rating: 8

1 comment:

  1. I agree with many of your points here - while I am not a picky eater when it comes to variety, I can be very picky about some aspects. The turkey brick addresses all of these issues - I will be in search of something similar minus the steak fries...

    ReplyDelete