Thursday, July 15, 2010

One Jaffa Cake

I just ate one Jaffa Cake.

What the hell is that? It's an English sweet, "made lovingly in the UK by McVitie's," a company based in--I kid you not--Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire, England.

The bottom (top?) of the Jaffa Cake is rather nondescript, somewhere between a Nilla Wafer and cake in texture. I can't comment on the flavor of the cookie-cake because it's completely overpowered by a layer of dark chocolate. A chewy layer of orange jelly is sandwiched between the chocolate and the cake.

I don't love Jaffa Cakes. We hosted a teacher from England a few years ago as part of student exchange program. She brought a package of these "biscuits" with her as something of a hostess gift, and I politely devoured them. Now, whenever she's visiting or Carl stays with her in England, we get a fresh tube of Jaffa Cakes.

Why did I eat this?
Because I wanted something sweet after dinner and there was nothing else in the house...except my stash of Hershey bars in the basement. But I'm trying to save those for our next camping trip.

Ugh. Okay, I'm not saving the Hershey's chocolate bars for camping. I ate one last night and still feel guilty, so I had a stupid Jaffa Cake instead.

Satisfaction rating: 2

UPDATE: My kids just read this post and are demanding to know where there Hershey's bars are hidden. Ellie claims she can find them; I've assured her she can't.

3 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure that by now she has not only them, but also eaten them and stashed the empty wrappers strategically around the house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant "not only FOUND them,"

    ReplyDelete