Monday, July 26, 2010

Grilled Asparagus and Zucchini

I just ate grilled asparagus and zucchini.

What the hell is that? Sliced zucchini and asparagus spears, basted with sesame oil and cooked on the grill. My neighbor has been quite generous in sharing her bumper zucchini crop this summer. She hands one off to me whenever I see her, sends some home with the girls when they visit, and occasionally wedges a plump squash between my front and storm doors.

This particular zucchini was enormous, probably weighing about a pound-and-a-half. The thing sat on the kitchen counter so long that Carl volunteered to grill it up. (If Carl's offering to cook something, you know it's been in the house too long!) Given its size, I expected the zucchini to be really seedy, but it wasn't; it was perfect - and more than enough for our entire family. Ellie doesn't eat yellow squash, but she loves asparagus, so I threw some on the grill for her.

Why did I eat this? Grilled veggies were an easy dinner side dish that provided a healthy respite from all the candy I've consumed lately. While I usually prepare vegetables with olive oil, the sesame oil I brushed on these added a delicious Asian flair.

I know you're all anxiously awaiting additional reports about the items in Christy's crazy food box, and they're coming - I promise! I'm photographing food as I eat it and the veggies shot was in the can and ready to go. So, as usual, you'll have to suffer through some vegetables before you get the good stuff.

Satisfaction rating: 7

2 comments:

  1. Try this recipe: http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/Wellness/Wellness-Recipes/ornish_recipes/desserts/zucchini_brownies.htm

    (I substitute regular old Hershey's unsweet cocoa for the carob powder.)

    Absolutely fabulous, and a great way to eat your veggies AND chocolate at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Carl and Cassie used another neighbor-inflicted squash to make zucchini bread with chocolate chips. I don't know what happened, but it didn't bake correctly and the edges and bottom of the loaf were all gooey. It wasn't bad enough to keep them from eating it, however!

    ReplyDelete